Welcome to the new GMMG Registry forum! Hopefully this new forum should be easier for everyone to register, login, navigate, and post! :)

Home Depot Trucks @ GMMG - Photos

Discussion & questions regarding the Home Depot Chevrolet Pickup Trucks.

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

I know nothing about the GMMG Home Depot Trucks

40 Home Depot Trucks were built

submitted by Jim Smith................Photos by Jamey - thanks

I spoke with Matt Murphy in 2010 about the Home Depot Trucks.

Here's what I remember from the conversation (more or less)....

His Ex wife's dad was an attorney for Home Depot & was (?) involved with getting this program going.

At the time Tony Stewart was racing the #20 Home Depot NASCAR.

Tony was a big part of the program.

Jamey submitted additional information (see below).

If ANYONE has information, photos or corrections to add they are appreciated.

I expect to hear from owners if I have it wrong.

This is the information as I understand it. Jim Smith
HDa (6).jpg
HDa (6).jpg (105.2 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
HDa (5).jpg
HDa (5).jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
HDa.jpg
HDa.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
HDa (4).jpg
HDa (4).jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
Tony Stewart signing the gauge clusters

Thanks for the photo JD

submitted by Jamey........................(Owner of a HD #9)

Jim:

The following I am providing is from a phone call with Matt Murphy on the way to or from an airport & other owners of these fantastic trucks.

According to Matt………Home Depot decided to have a Manager Incentive Program that consisted of giving away a certain number of these trucks per quarter to qualifying managers.

There were 40 trucks total. (20) 2003 models & (20) 2004 models. I believe some/all of them were purchased through the former Bill Heard Chevrolet at Town Center, LLC. Kennesaw, GA as you can see in some pictures where a rear license plate normally goes, plus that dealership was listed first on a CarFax I ran across on one of the trucks showing “start up service” on it. These trucks were giveaways & were never offered for sale to the public.

There is a rumor that one of these trucks was given to Tony Stewart at Atlanta Motor Speedway that had a different orange paint on it & was pictured on a regular sized car trailer.

Some Home Depot employees weren’t too keen on the Program as some felt they did the work & the Managers got the trucks. The trucks were not “beefed” up due to emissions & the fact that the trucks were given away across the U.S. & I saw at least one was in Canada. There was supposedly a rule with Home Depot that if you win one &. if you left the company within a year regardless of resigning or terminated, you had to give the truck back to Home Depot. Also, there was a timeline that Home Depot had for when/if a manager wanted to sell one. Home Depot had first chance of buying a truck back and if they didn’t, Home Depot would request the managers to have the company labeled items taken off the trucks & sent back to them.

There was a rumor that they might have bought one of the trucks back. I’ve seen these trucks offered for sale as high as $40,000 & as less than $13,400 with the graphics missing & half of the truck repainted a different color.

Tony Stewart signed each of the tachometer gauges with an orange Sharpie. There is a custom looking/sounding Nascar exhaust on the passenger side before the rear tires, a custom air intake under the hood, a Husky toolbox in the bed, bedliner was coated, 20 inch American Racing Chrome Magnet wheels, manager incentive program dash plaque signifying what number out of 40 it was, houndstooth interior on front & rear seats & door panels, Home Depot racing stitched headrests on the front seats & front floor mats, Home Depot Racing, 20, & Tony Stewart decals, gold GMMG plate inside the front driver’s door, white numbered decal of the truck on the lower driver’s side windshield & backside of the rearview mirror.

Matt told me he didn’t put together a window sticker for these. I have one of the original windows stickers from one of the trucks listing the paint as “special” & calling it “tangier orange”.

Jim, I have taken my truck to (3) different Home Depot stores to display along with Tony Stewart’s show car & at one of them had Tony sign my fuse panel on the truck. I look forward to seeing additional info on your site about these & again welcome you to contact me anytime. I hope we have a chance to meet as well. We’ve emailed each other before about my 2000 WHITE Pontiac GTP NASCAR Pace Car. Hope you enjoy…

Thanks for listing me on your site!!! Here’s some additional pics…

Web Photos:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gm ... ORM=HDRSC2

Jamey
Last edited by daytonajim on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

2002Z4CSS

Post by 2002Z4CSS »

I remember seeing one of these Hope Depot Silverados at Berger. :)

thebodygod

Post by thebodygod »

I went to GMMG on the way to one of the Hot Rod Power Tours. Had an exhaust issue fixed, spent the day there, and I helped finish one of these trucks. I'll stick to my Chipped Duramax 8-)

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Home Depot Trucks @ GMMG - Photos

Post by daytonajim »

Home Depot Power Tour Trucks.jpg
Home Depot Power Tour Trucks.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars