Welcome to the new GMMG Registry forum! Hopefully this new forum should be easier for everyone to register, login, navigate, and post! :)

Dale Jr. #8 (Red)

Discussion & questions regarding the "Wildcard" vehicles built by G.M.M.G.

Topic author
Berger 93

Post by Berger 93 »

At F-Body Gathering GA 2007 when it was the original owners.

Matt built it for him.

wake00

Post by wake00 »

Thanks for posting! I've been looking for older pics of the car. Do you remember what HP it had at that time?

wake00

Post by wake00 »

Thanks again. Does anyone have any other pics of the Dale Jr car?

daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

gg

Post by daytonajim »

A photo I had..........
Last edited by daytonajim on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

wake00

Post by wake00 »

Thanks Jim. That's the owner we purchased the car from.

super26

Post by super26 »

them black wheels look good on your car, i think about any type would look good !!!!! NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Dale Jr. #8 (Red)

Post by daytonajim »

dale1.JPG
dale1.JPG (355.35 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
dale4.JPG
dale4.JPG (228.28 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (402.65 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (457.63 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
6/22/15 - from Gary - new owner....

The car was purchased by Andy brand new in 1999 from Nash Chevrolet in Lawrenceville ,Georgia. In late 2000 early 2001 Matt Murphy was doing the DEI cars for Dale Senior and the thought came up to do a Dale Jr. Camaro.( Either Dale Sr. had the idea or Matt shared it with Dale Sr.). Matt needed a Red prototype Camaro for the deadline build.( Dale Sr. and Dale Jr. wanted to see the Camaro and most likely had a contract with Matt ) Matt approached Andy if he would be willing to lend his car to the project. Andy agreed and the car received a Phase 2 435 hp package, lowered, Corvette brakes, panard bar, exhaust cutouts. The speedometer cluster was sent to DEI and autographed by Dale Jr. and sent back. Once completed the car was lend to Dale Jr. for a couple of weeks to "try out" for the possible package. Not long after that Dale Sr. was killed and Andy got his car back. In 2004 Andy was not happy with power package that Billy had done and Mike Carnahan then installed a LS6 Phase 2X6 package. Mike confirmed this car made "great power on the dyno". Andy also said this car got lots of prototype stuff that was later used on other GMMG packages including the 2002 ZL-1. At some point Andy's mother had serious health issues and Andy VERY reluctantly sold the car to help his Mother. Andy would like Gary to keep him in mind if he ever sells the car. According Andy said he should have never sold the car!

Facts: Gary found about the Dale Jr. PR-1 Camaro

1. The autograph of Dale Jr. on the tach cluster has been certified in writing from a sports autograph professional.

2. Dale Jr. worked for Dale Sr. at DEI , so Dale Sr. knew about this project.

3. Andy had connections to GMMG and sold them parts for GMMG Camaros

4. Dale Jr. tested an Intimidator or possibly the Dale Jr. PR-1 Camaro at the Lowes Motor Speedway in December 2000 or January 2001 prior to Dales death at Daytona February 18, 2001.

5. Article in Hot Rodding Magazine March 2001 verifies the Dale Jr. Camaro SS Outlaw was going to be made in Red in the future. That quote was either from Tom Johnson ( General Manager at Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet ) or Dale Jr. They were the only two mentioned in quotes in the article. That article went to newsstands the next day after Dale’s death. Feb 19, 2001. Article probably went to press at least 30 days prior to that. The time frame is correct to the testing and the car being loaned to Dale Jr. from Matt.

6. I can speculate a little here … I would bet that Dale Sr. drove this car also. No way Dale Sr. didn’t grab some gears and test it out before he was going to sell them at his Dealership. Dale Sr. was a numbers guy. 83 Intimidators ( 8 used for his Dad Ralph Earnhardt and the 3 for himself ). History dictates this on every car they sold at the Dealership.

7. The Dale Jr. PR-1 was taken to the National Corvette Museum in 2001 and won the Celebrity Choice Award and the award was signed by Jerry Heasley Super Chevy Magazine. It also went back in 2002 and won People’s Choice. Scott Settlemire autographed the Camaro along with the award.

8. I have installed the proper PR-1 Decals on the windshield corner. This GMMG Camaro indeed was built for Dale Earnhardt Jr. It needs the recognition of such. Head is stamped DE JR PR-1 and as far as I am concerned it was built and tested as a Prototype. I will no longer refer to it as the JR-8 Camaro. A lot happened after Dale was killed at Daytona and the Dale Jr. Project faded away in GMMG history.
Last edited by daytonajim on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

scbirdhunter

Post by scbirdhunter »

Might add the testing at Lowes Motor Speedway was reference Hot Rodding Magazine March 2001. A Big Thank You to Aaron for providing some of the information. Pretty cool owning a car Dale and Dale Jr. has driven.