Welcome to the new GMMG Registry forum! Hopefully this new forum should be easier for everyone to register, login, navigate, and post! :)

GMMG Gathering?

PRIVATE - Forum for GMMG Car Owners ONLY ! ! !

Topic author
4th Gen Camaro Addict

Post by 4th Gen Camaro Addict »

Just trying to guage interest.....................who would be interested in having a GMMG Car Owners Gathering where we could all meet & greet and show some of our GMMG cars off?

The ideal place (Jim Smith and I think) would be at the Fred Gibb Car Show (now known as the LaHarpe Classic Car Show) in LaHarpe, Illinois which is the first weekend in August. Illinois should be centrally located for most everyone.

"rnlz28" here on the forum board is a GMMG Car Owner and is one of the organizers of the LaHarpe Classic Car Show and after discussing this with him this afternoon...................he feels that they could certainly accomodate us within their car show. For those of you that don't know....................LaHarpe, Illinois is the place where Fred Gibb had his Chevrolet dealership and the idea for the 1969 ZL-1 was orginally born at. The LaHarpe Classic Car Show is held at the fairgrounds and they would have plenty of room so that we could have our own specific "GMMG car only" display. :D

Interest........................what do you guys think?

daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

I'm in.

Any chance of a track day close by? It would be fun to streach the legs of some GMMG's.

Jim Smith
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

GMMG ZL1 41
Site Admin

Post by GMMG ZL1 41 »

Great idea! Not sure I could make it though.

rnlz28

Post by rnlz28 »

We have an 1/8th mile strip about an hour away. I am checking to see if they open up for a gathering if there is enough interest. It was freshly repaved in 2011 & is a real nice facility. Those of you that have ZL1's delivered in LaHarpe it would be a great time to get pictures taken at the old Fred Gibb dealership. We take over the golf course for the show area so the grounds are very nice & well maintained. This would be a great time to meet other GMMG car owners. Our show is August 3rd, check out the webpage at www.laharpecarshow.com or email me at rnlz28@hotmail.com.

Thanks, Bob

NCGuy68

Post by NCGuy68 »

I like the idea but not sure about my work schedule that time of the year.

smgristi

Post by smgristi »

That sounds like fun but that is too far from Louisiana for me and my family. I like the idea and hopefully we can attend a future event.

Scott

wake00

Post by wake00 »

I like the idea. I've always thought the Berger Show would work well too.... seems like there's always a lot of GMMG cars to begin with.

http://www.bergerchevy.com/berger-all-chevy-show.htm

GMMGBlackbird32

Post by GMMGBlackbird32 »

I would be interested in getting a GMMG gathering. I know I have discussed this idea with Jim Smith and J.D. I have attended the Fred Gibb Memeorial La Harpe show and saw alot of the older Yenko and COPO cars there. Last time I was there I met Helen Gibb and her daugher, got to even drive Helen's 1 of 1 purple GMMG ZL1 Camaro. It was a nice ride and was considering purchasing it but did not have all the funds needed to complete the transaction. I agree of the idea of a track day.

Has anyone thought of joining with the Yenko group when they go down Gateway track (dragstrip) and have a show / run your cars on the drag strip there?? St. Louis would be one of your most central locations and perhaps set up a drive to a location in St. Louis or to FastLane Cars Inc in St. Charles. Just a thought.

GMMG ZL1 41
Site Admin

Post by GMMG ZL1 41 »

Hey, why don't we just go snowmobiling at Jim's cabin next year!

68 RSSS Ragtop
Vehicle: BB#30

Post by 68 RSSS Ragtop »

I'd be interested. will have to check schedule and family conflicts. If not this year, then definately next with enough time to plan. Fbody Gathering in Altanta every Memorial Day weekend has a lot of GMMG cars as well due to being Local to GMMG. Great show, have seen between 325 to 475 Fbodies show up over the years.
"A Camaro looks like it can kick your ass, A Firebird looks like it's coming to do it." :lol: