Welcome to the new GMMG Registry forum! Hopefully this new forum should be easier for everyone to register, login, navigate, and post! :)

1994 DEI (1 of 6) joins Vince & Sally's Collection

Discussion & questions regarding any cool car a member might own or is interested in.

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

May 5, 2015

Here's the story of how this super rare DEI ended up with Vince & Sally.

As you all know I spend a couple of months snowmobiling at our place (Westview) near Yellowstone. You really have to join me sometime. It's a blast!

http://www.westviewoncrookedcreekroad.com/

I was having a beer @ Larry's shop one afternoon & he said I need to visit with Tom because he had a Camaro. I've known Tom a lot of years, we've casually visited but neither of us knew we both had a Camaro connection. We visited & I asked him what he had.

It's a 1994 DEI original owner 1 of 6 Camaro, 6 speed, T-Top, 13k mile. This car honors Dale Earnhardt's 6 NASCAR Championships (he had 6 of his 7 by 1994)

WHAT!!!!!!! Vince & Sally have been looking for one of these forever.

The story gets even better............ Tom took delivery @ DEI, has met Dale a number of times & had dinner @ the Speedway Club with Dale. Tom is an interesting guy & has been involved with the Wells Fargo Stage Coach Commercials. If you see red rock they were filmed in Wyoming not to far from Westview.

I asked Tom if he would consider selling it & he said maybe.

I immediately told Tom I wanted to see the car when I returned home in the spring & not to sell it & give me the first shot at it.

I really wanted the car in my collection BUT know how much Vince & Sally wanted one. I looked at the car & immediately called Vince. I told Tom I needed to pass this one on to Vince & if he didn't buy it I would. Vince wasn't home & I talked with Sally. This was on a Thursday. On Friday morning I gave Vince Tom's #, he called him & bought the car on the phone pending coming to get it & inspecting it on Saturday.

Vince, Sally, Tom, Cheryl & I met 2 Jax in NE Minneapolis for lunch on Saturday & then went to see the car. The girls hit it off right away. Tom was having sellers remorse & not sure he wanted to sell the car (got cold feet). He met Vince & realized that the car was going to the perfect home. I concur!!!! Vince & Sally should have this super rare DEI.

Of course I forgot my camera but Cheryl & Sally took some photos & I will post them when I get them.

Finding this car was a total fluke. I love it when I pull something out of my a.. & things work out. Let me say this............... I've met so many fantastic people doing the GMMG Registry & have friends all over.

Last year when I blew up HRE 2000 on the Power Tour in Charlotte I spent the week in BB #30 riding with Captain Bob. He took Captain Phillip's place on the Maersk Alabama. You remember the Tom Hanks movie, right? I look forward to meeting more GMMG owners @ the 2015 GMMG Reunion @ the Camaro Nationals June 26 & 27.

Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

2002Z4CSS

Post by 2002Z4CSS »

I seen one of those DEI Z28s years ago at a Northeast Ohio Club function. That was the only one I had ever seen. :)

chevyfan1251992

Post by chevyfan1251992 »

Cool story. Never have heard of these cars before.

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

It's for sale - Vince & Sally bought another (1 of 6) @ 2015 Mecum Indy
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars