Welcome to the new GMMG Registry forum! Hopefully this new forum should be easier for everyone to register, login, navigate, and post! :)

PE #5 - Kevin - FL

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

If anyone has more photos please post

Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

From Kevin...…………

Hi Jim,
I don’t ever remember my car being referred to as PE5, but I did get it from GMMG in May 2002. Long story, I have several Camaros, all of which I bought new, except my 1967, which my uncle bought new in November 1966 in Brooklyn, NY at Speilman Motors. Anyway, I have a 1997 SS Camaro, and it was paid off in 2002. When I heard that 2002 was the last year for Camaros, I decided to get the 35th Anniversary package. I ordered it from Coggin-Osteen Chevrolet in Kissimmee, FL, and waited patiently for it. In February 2002, I was at the Camaro Winternationals at Old Town in Kissimmee, and I was talking to a guy about my coming Camaro. He mentioned that he worked for Chevrolet and was concerned that a lot of dealers were selling the 35th Anniversary package, and they didn’t have them. I immediately called Coggin-Osteen and asked if my Camaro was still coming. They said of course it was. I asked if it was a 35th anniversary Camaro, and they replied that they all are. I was so pissed, I cancelled the order right there. It turned out the guy I was talking to at the Winternationals was Scott Settlemire. He was with another guy who said he thought he could get me a 35th anniversary Camaro. I told him I wanted an automatic with T-Tops. He said he would try to get one for me. He worked for Tom Henry Chevrolet in Pittsburgh. He gave me his card, and I was surprised to learn, he was Tom Henry! Later I found out that he and Scott are cousins. So a little while after that, Tom called me and said he found my car at a Chevrolet dealership in North Carolina. I told him I’d take it. At that point, he suggested having it modified at GMMG. I said go for it. Instead of having it delivered to me, we agreed that I would pick it up at GMMG during the 2002 F-Body Gathering in Atlanta. There was a big celebration at GMMG, and several cars, including mine were delivered. My 13 year old son got in the car and they gave him the keys and told him to start the car. He was nervous and couldn’t turn the key, so Scott Settlemire turned it on for him. Great memories of that weekend. Since it was an automatic, it was rated at 350HP, but the next year, when I went back to the F-Body Gathering, Matt Murphy tweaked it and changed it to 380HP.

They told me the car was number 5 of 50, I never questioned that, it does have a white #5 on the windshield and on the rear view mirror. But I never heard them call it a PE5. It still has the NC dealer registration on the windshield. The car itself does not have any Tom Henry markings, but does have all the GMMG accessories, including floor mats, dash plaque, intake decal, side cloisonné’s indicating “Performance Edition” and all the other stuff that came with it. I currently have 16K miles on it, and drive it to shows a lot. Sometimes I just drive it around because they are no fun just sitting in the garage. I attached a few pictures, let me know if you need anything else!

Kevin

Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

Sure, you can post it. Let me know if you need anything else. You just solved a riddle for me, I never knew about PE, even though it’s been right under my nose for 16 years! Attached is a picture of my cars at a recent show: 1967 Camaro, in-line 250cid with 3 on the tree, still has original plug wires; 1971 SS396 with turbo 400 and AC, 1978 Trans Am, 1997 SS Camaro, 2002 SS Camaro!

Kevin