Welcome to the new GMMG Registry forum! Hopefully this new forum should be easier for everyone to register, login, navigate, and post! :)

Drekar 15 (Yellow TA) - NOT a GMMG Car

Discussion & questions regarding the "Wildcard" vehicles built by G.M.M.G.

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

Sept. 4, 2014 .........from Mike Carnahan - update........

NONE WERE BUILT! .........NOT A GMMG CAR!

Not a true GMMG car.

The guy built this car in his garage. Came to us one day before a big show. Late as I remember like 8-9 PM. Guy had talked to Matt on the phone. He was a real Matt nut swinger. Long story the short the car never even was put on a lift at GMMG. Pulled it in. Matt made the guy a window sticker for the show and set it up like it was a SHOW CAR!!! Nothing more.

Car had an old SC kit on it as I remember (VORTEC). We actually raced the guy in the front of the shop with Lucas car as I remember. Luca won also.

Next week the guy had the car on EBAY as a GMMG car. Matt and everybody at the shop were not happy. I have seen this car past around for years as GMMG car and it is not. The guy spent like $400 bucks at GMMNG on floor mats and trinkets.

Sorry to disappoint boys not barn find today J

Mike Carnahan

Vengeance PCM Owner/Tuner

404-606-8434 Cell

Thanks for the clarification Mike. Jim Smith

2002 DREKAR ASV PILOT FIREBIRD “Z15” TRANS AM

Information from LS-1 Tech - Young Jedi

After 35 years of domination in the American "Musclecar" market, both of the legendary F-Bodies (Camaro & Firebird) were to cease production in 2002. In response to this, and after seeing that there was no planned Firebird equivalent to the forthcoming limited production Camaro "ZL1" Supercar (in which Matt Murphy, the owner of GMMG, had just been given the approval from GM to build 69 of these special vehicles after months of hard work to bring the "ZL1" project to life), an upcoming design & tuner company Drekar ASV (American Specialty Vehicles) set it's sights on paying homage to this piece of American heritage with it's own Firebird Supercar, the "Z15".

Jan Oosten, a creative concept designer/producer along with his like-minded engineer brother, Kurtis Oosten (founders of Drekar ASV - both from a NASA/Aerospace family with a patriotic passion for American Musclecars) set out with their enthusiasm to make this new Supercar a reality. By contacting their longtime family friend Dan Edmundson (a manager of a Pontiac/GMC dealership who himself had co-produced the limited production "Banshee" dealership cars of the mid to late 90's and had already supplied numerous F-Bodies to the family over the years) they managed to get some of the very first “Collector Edition” Firebirds coming down the GM pipeline for this new project.

With Drekar ASV's initial goal of converting only 35 “Collector Edition” vehicles (in which GM had only a few thousand produced to generally commemorate the 35th Anniversary of the Firebird) to this 600HP performance and appearance package, the name "Z15" seemed fitting as this was already the GM "RPO" code designated to those Firebird "CE" cars. With some essential help in collaboration, build components, and overall insight from fellow enthusiast Matt Murphy (who had already put aside his beautiful 400HP pilot Firebird "Ram Air 6" project due to GM’s disbanding of the Pontiac Firebird Brand Team) and staff, the project was taking its first breaths in life.

This new Drekar ASV Firebird "Z15" Supercar started out as previously mentioned in "CE" form which was coming directly from GM in a Pontiac yellow "54U". This color yellow had been previously used on the Firebird's in 1994. This production "CE" yellow was a tad more "pale" than the pre-production "CE" car which was finished in a much brighter Corvette "Millennium Yellow". It was immediately decided that the "Z15" would don an outstanding show car coat of the originally intended "CE" color Corvette "Millennium Yellow". The pilot car was painstakingly disassembled and then painted piece by piece, completing the paint scheme with the addition of a black Pontiac style "arrowhead" to cleanly but accurately portray the aggressive nature of this 'bird.

With its fresh new look upon reassembly, the engine was carefully reinstalled with specific “Z15” milled heads & upgraded internals to match the custom “Z15” Vortech Supercharger w/Aftercooler. From exhaust, programming, drivetrain, braking & suspension - all planted to the pavement with Goodyear Eagle F1 295-35 ZR18 Supercar tires - this vehicle is complete and bold in every detail. In keeping with its donor “CE” styling cues, the ebony interior was accented with silver, including the “Z15” specific instrument cluster. “Z15” key fob, floor mats, console badge, auto-dimming rearview mirror with temperature and compass - even a yellow “Z15” logo specific car cover - are just a few of the things that lead to an overall uncompromised setup.

After the pilot Firebird “Z15” was completed in its build, it was decided that it should be seen first by the people it was most built for: the Firebird enthusiasts. It was transported to the 2002 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton, Ohio – the largest Firebird show in the world - where the public was first introduced to this one of a kind ‘bird at that largest event, during the last year the F-Body was manufactured. In a truly honorary and unforgettable experience for all involved in the build, the “Z15” claimed first place prize in the Super-Street class.

The pilot Firebird “Z15” went on to be “officially” unveiled and autographed as well (signatures include Jan Oosten, Kurt Oosten, Matt Murphy, and Scott Settlemire) at the 2002 F-Body Celebration held Sept. 20th-22nd in Bowling Green, KY alongside some of the finest GM F-Cars to ever be produced, and also among some of the finest Firebird and Camaro enthusiasts. Truly trying to embody all that the Firebird represented to scores of enthusiasts for generations and being born in spirit of its brethren the Camaro “ZL1”, the Firebird “Z15” had come to life.

Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

Mike@Vengeancepcm

Post by Mike@Vengeancepcm »

This car was NOT BUILT BY GMMG. Although the paperwork is made out to look like so.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT A GMMG CAR.

If anyone wants details of what really went down here just hit me up.

2002Z4CSS

Post by 2002Z4CSS »

I had never heard of these before. :)

Berger 93

Post by Berger 93 »

Saw it in person at the F-Body Invasion at the Corvette Museum

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

Interesting info from Mike Paige.......... Sept. 4, 2014

Is it real?

VEHICLE: 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air Drekar American Z15

CONDITION: original

COLOR EXTERIOR: Z15 Millennium Yellow Paint, with logo

With history dating back to the muscle car pinnacle of the late 1960s, Pontiac’s Firebird and Trans Am both called it quits in 2002. However, these racy sportscars went out with a bang. This custom-finished Z15 Drekar ASV (American Speciality Vehicle) example celebrates that torque, acceleration, and boisterous rumble. With just over 5,000 original miles this beautifully-maintained super-car, believed to produce over 600 horsepower. Only 35 of these cars were said to be made by Drekar during the final Firebird run, featuring American Racing wheels. Additionally, this Collector's Edition car sports an automatic transition, mint gray and black two-tone interior, CD player, t-top, and appears to be a time-capsule to the last days of Firebird. Painted professionally, this modified car features all of its original paperwork, key fobs, and accessories. The Ram Air engine, even in its original state, remains the fastest fourth generation Trans Am.

- See more at: http://www.morphyautoauctions.com/aucti ... n7ULK.dpuf

........from Jim Smith..........

Interesting.............

I got a call a few years ago from an Insurance Adjuster (maybe in FLA?) saying someone claimed to have Drekar 15 that was totaled.

As it turned out it was a fake. Is this real or not?????

There is only one built as far as I know. Confusing car to me.

See Mike Carnahan’s note............ Maybe forward & ask Mike Carnahan?

Please check into this ........... This is worth looking into to get to the bottom of the story. .............looking for Vin # & GMMG Door Tag # to verify the car.

If real someone added the air brushed paint.

Good find.

Jim

Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

from 69camaross on LS1 Tech............

I think your article is mixing up 2 different yellow special edition Firebird builds.

The Drekar car was a millenium yellow Trans Am with the black v stripe built buy their company to offer as either an aftermarket conversion or if they could get dealership sponsorship an off the showroom package. GM High Tech did a 2 page spread on this car when it first came out. I don't think they ever referred to this car as a Z15 though.

The GMMG CE started life as a silver 98 V6 test mule that was given to GMMG by The Firebird Brand team to come up with a Pontiac version of the soon to come out GMMG ZL1 Camaro. They painted it up like a CE, dropped in a LS6 and put black Magnesium C5 wheels on it and left it in Firebird trim. Anyways the Firebird Brand team was disbanded and GMMG basically dropped the project. Matt used to drive this car around Atlanta as his beater but I think has since sold it. High Performance Pontiac also did a huge article on this car about 4 years ago.

When I have time I'll try to find the GMHTP and HPP articles talking about these cars. As far as I remember they only built 1 Drekar car and it was the yellow TA with black V stripe.

....from BANDITCAR - LS1 Tech........

There was only 1 built. YoungJedi, had the car painted two different ways to see which way worked better which is why there look to be two different versions, but its the same car.

We had talked at length about what he went through in developing the car and he had quite a lot of money into the project but sadly, no interest. So he scrapped the project to build 35 of them. I don't know what happened to the 1, but I would like to imagine he kept it. I haven't heard from him in a long time.

.........from Jim.........

As mentioned earlier ...... I think only 1 was built. If you know something different please post.

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

Thanks Mike..........

NONE WERE BUILT!

Not a true GMMG car.

The guy built this car in his garage. Came to us one day before a big show. Late as I remember like 8-9 PM. Guy had talked to Matt on the phone. He was a real Matt nut swinger. Long story the short the car never even was put on a lift at GMMG. Pulled it in. Matt made the guy a window sticker for the show and set it up like it was a SHOW CAR!!! Nothing more.

Car had an old SC kit on it as I remember (VORTEC). We actually raced the guy in the front of the shop with Lucas car as I remember. Luca won also.

Next week the guy had the car on EBAY as a GMMG car. Matt and everybody at the shop were not happy. I have seen this car past around for years as GMMG car and it is not. The guy spent like $400 bucks at GMMNG on floor mats and trinkets.

Sorry to disappoint boys not barn find today J

Mike Carnahan

Vengeance PCM Owner/Tuner

404-606-8434 Cell

fbodfather

Post by fbodfather »

We (GM)never approved such a car or a program for the T/A . I DO know that Matt converted a 1998 (as I recall) to LOOK like a T/A Collector - but it was not a real one.

Matt was known to put badges on cars as "Prototypes" for friends -- something that I did not agree with.

The only one who knows for sure is Matt -- but if he did it, it was not with the blessing of GM.

I therefore say(In my opinion) that it is not real.

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

Thanks Scott. Much appreciated. Jim

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

Harley: Thanks for the heads up............... see discussion on the GMMG Forum...............

http://forums.gmmgregistry.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=384

GMMG didn’t have anything to do with this car....................false advertising --- claiming to be something it isn’t.

See Scott Settlemier's comments above...............

Post by fbodfather » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

We (GM)never approved such a car or a program for the T/A . I DO know that Matt converted a 1998 (as I recall) to LOOK like a T/A Collector - but it was not a real one.

Matt was known to put badges on cars as "Prototypes" for friends -- something that I did not agree with.

The only one who knows for sure is Matt -- but if he did it, it was not with the blessing of GM.

I therefore say(In my opinion) that it is not real.

Scott

I'm guessing the owner may not even know & he probably got told the story & never checked it out because there is a GMMG Invoice that says GMMG built it. It is NOT A GMMG Car - Mike Carnahan has the ‘rest-of-the-story’.

Don't get me wrong............ It's a nice car & has cool paint & air brushing - Mike Paige looked at it & called me when he was there BUT it's just not a GMMG.

Sold @ auction Oct. 2014............. guy trying to flip it as a GMMG...... someone should set Mecum straight? BUYER BEWARE!

See my note below.......................

Drekar 15 Yellow $21,175 - Sold Oct 14 in PA - info from Mike Paige (CETA BB #4 & PE #41)

Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:19 PM

To: Jim Smith

Subject: Mecum GMMG

Check out the paint on this GMMG.

2002 Pontiac Trans Am Z15 Super Car Built by GMMG | Mecum Auctions

2002 Pontiac Trans Am Z15 Super Car Built by GMMG | ...

2002 Pontiac Trans Am Z15 Super Car Built by GMMG presented as lot T166.1 at Kissimmee, FL

View on http://www.mecum.com Preview by Yahoo

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lo ... 115-206332

I’d suggest others also notify Mecum .....this just keeps going on & on with this car.

My note to Mecum................

Mecum Auctions

info@mecum.com

445 South Main Street

Walworth, WI 53184

United States

Phone: (262) 275-5050

FAX: (262) 275-3424

Message sent...

Your message has been sent to the staff at Mecum Auctions.

Name: Jim Smith

E-mail: info@gmmgregistry.com

Subject: Vehicle Info

Comments: Lot 166.1 (yellow) Trans Am was NOT built by GMMG. GMMG didn't have anything to do with this car. Here's the link with information....

http://forums.gmmgregistry.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=384

Contact Mike Carnahan @ Vengeance Racing for the complete story. 678-513-7105

mike@vengeancerd.com

Jim Smith GMMG Registry