Dick Harrell Performance Edition #4

Discussion & questions regarding the "Wildcard" vehicles built by G.M.M.G.

Topic author
DHPE04

Post by DHPE04 »

Here is a story about how our Brickyard Z7D became a GMMG Camaro.

I, like many of you, knew of Matt Murphy during GMMG's most productive years, since then, (2001ish) I had always wanted a GMMG but because I just graduated Engineering College, it was a far stretch to purchase a GMMG. Fast forward to 2007, I just met another Camaro addict who had just taught me about some rare 4th gens, the 2002 Brickyard (Z7D) Camaro and how these Z7Ds were quite special and rare, this was another Camaro I needed to add to my collection. It only took a couple of months and I found a Z7D a county away, Z7D #4, I had to have it. After purchasing our 2002 Brickyard Z7D in 2007, I had the privilege of meeting Matt at his shop in Georgia of October 2007, I think I spent over 6 hours just hanging out and BSing with Matt that day. While I was visiting Matt, I asked him if he would be willing to build another PE car that was similar to the two “silver” convertible Brickyard PEs that he had built and sold by Berger, Matt said the he was working on another package that would be similar to the 50 plus PE cars but with a twist, this package would be partnering with GM High Tech Magazine and would be called the GMHT and only 15 cars would be built. On May 20 2008, a GMMG employee (Robert) picked up our 2002 Z7D in order to install what was supposed to be 1 of 15 packages Matt had whipped up. This package was going to be called GMHT #4.

During the year and a half that Matt had our Z7D in his possession, a lot had unfolded, GM High Tech magazine was no longer going to partner with GMMG and Matt was trying to figure out what this package was going to be. Matt knew he could not call this new package the 35th PE since all PEs were sold and upsetting current PE owners would have been real easy if all of a sudden a couple more PEs just appeared. What happened next is only an assumption but I believe Matt found some extra Dick Harrell badges and gauge overlays and decided to call the new package “Dick Harrell 35th Performance Package” (DHPE). From what I understand, only one other Camaro has received this exact package, it was a Red Camaro SS, Jim has this picture listed under the “wildcards” as Special Build Performance Edition #12, #12 and #4 (our Z7D) are the only known cars built under this package. One other interesting note, Matt decided that the base package would not be the same horsepower rating as all the other base package, the horsepower rating of the DHPEs would be 400hp, not the 380hp that is iconic. Unlike the 380hp packages, Matt said in order to get to this 400 number, long tube headers would be standard with the base package. As you can see, 400hp is decaled on the hood scoops of both #12, and #4.

I have heard that the DHPE cars are not real GMMG cars since they do not fall into one of the 8 packages built and was also not authorized by Valarie Harrell to use Dick’s name, however, if this car could talk about the experience it has had while at GMMG, I am sure it would be an awesome story. I can’t say this for sure but it seems that our Z7D has to be one of a handful of cars that were the last to exit GMMG back in late 2009. Matt and his crew had our car completely torn down and the quality of work done to this car is worth every penny. With that said, I am very thankful I was able to meet Matt and have the pleasure of working with him while his crew worked their magic on Z7D #4, DHPE #4 is one awesome Camaro.

[youtube:1lnl9lpc][/youtube:1lnl9lpc]

4th Gen Camaro Addict

Post by 4th Gen Camaro Addict »

Derek......................your Camaro IS a GMMG car without a doubt ! ! ! ! ! :auto-layrubber:

daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

It's real alright. Photo of Matt Murphy delivering DHPE4 to Derek fall 2010. Matt then visited me & signed my cars.

I visited Derek - September 2012 - The car looks fantastic - Jim (I'll post a photo I took when I find it)
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

wake00

Post by wake00 »

I actually put a deposit down on DHPE #9. I still have the invoice. It’s a shame the car was never built. I think it would have been really cool. It was a black convertible and was going to be a black version of a 35th PE car.

35thanniversaryphil

Post by 35thanniversaryphil »

Derek, what is the HP and TORQUE rating GMMG gave your car?

I am adding all the power levels of all the phases all in one place to eliminate confusion.

http://forums.gmmgregistry.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=194

Cheers!

Topic author
DHPE04

Post by DHPE04 »

@35thanniversaryphil wrote:Derek, what is the HP and TORQUE rating GMMG gave your car?

I am adding all the power levels of all the phases all in one place to eliminate confusion.

Cheers!

The Intake label states 400 hp/ 410 ftlb torque.

35thanniversaryphil

@DHPE04 wrote:@35thanniversaryphil wrote:Derek, what is the HP and TORQUE rating GMMG gave your car?

Cheers!

The Intake label states 400 hp/ 410 ftlb torque.

Thanks Derek, I'll add it to the list!

I took the liberty of calling your unique phase for the lack of a better term "PHASE IX" in my list to distinguish it from a regular LS1 PHASE 1 which is rated at 380HP.

35thanniversaryphil

Hey guys, I found the other DICK HARRELL PERFORMANCE EDITION on Youtube. The owner made a walk around video of he car.

Topic author
DHPE04

Post by DHPE04 »

Good find with that video. I had talked with the owner of that DHPE shortly after we both took delivery of our cars, it was interesting to hear the gauge overlay, the air lid decal was different than mine, now seeing it on the video just confirmed it. Kind of depressing that they are different, oh well.

Not sure if anyone read the comments but the video owner posted that this car was sold to someone in Canada.

Berger 93

Post by Berger 93 »

Derek's car at GMMG:

I took the photos during GMMG's open house held in 2009 as part of the G13 F-Body Gathering