Story of the First ZL1 Delivered on 12/31/68

Discussion & questions regarding the ZL-1 Supercar Camaros.

Topic author
olson

Post by olson »

I have a friend on Facebook who posted a picture of Fred Gibbs ZL1 and stated that it was delivered 45 years ago tonight in a snowstorm. My friend, Dru, is also friends with Nancy Gibb. Nancy posted the following comment to the picture and I found it interesting. Maybe you've heard it before, but I had not:

"Dru...Just got home from the Nursing Home from being with Mom. I was looking out her room window on to Main Street here in LaHarpe, with the road from our house running in front of the Nursing Home to Main Street. I thought about that "COLD" night, when Dad, Connie, and I headed out to the DEALERSHIP. With the three of us and the Transport Driver out in the cold and the TWO, 1969, DUSK BLUE, ZL1 CAMAROS would NOT START! I will not say what the transport driver had to say, while DAD was getting THE WRECKER off the TRUCK TEST LANE, but you can imagine! In May of 2012, I purchased NEW, A 2012, PLAIN JANE...as DAD would say, BLUE CAMARO, and with the help of MY GOOD FRIEND, and FORMER FRED GIBB CHEVROLET EMPLOYEE, GARY LOGAN, we tried to create a "Fred Gibb Tribute Camaro" that looks just like the #1 1969 DUSK BLUE ZL1 CAMARO. Gary was THE BEST PAINT AND BODY WORK GUY at that time, and still is. Tonight DECEMBER 31, 2013, about that same time as in 1968, I, in TRIBUTE to MY WONDERFUL PARENTS, FRED and HELEN GIBB, will drive MY 2012 BLUE "FRED GIBB TRIBUTE CAMARO", down our same driveway, down LOUISE STREET(Dad had named after MY MOM, HELEN LOUISE GIBB) to MAIN STREET, here in LAHARPE, ILLINOIS. I will turn right and head the "QUARTER MILE", to THE OLD DEALERSHIP, and pull in the original driveway. As I leave, you can bet, if MY DAD were here, HE'D be the first to put the water in front of those back tires and say"LET ER RIP GIRL" PEDAL TO THE METAL" LOVE YOU DAD, YOU ARE MISSED."

2002Z4CSS

Post by 2002Z4CSS »

Nice story. Helen Gibb signed my Brickyard 400 a few years ago at the Berger Chevrolet Show. Nice lady. She let me sit in here mint 1968 COPO Nova too. :) I actually have a signed photo of her in my house that she gave my wife and I at a Camaro show. :D