New 2014 Z-28 has arrived - Craig Schenk

Discussion & questions regarding any cool car a member might own or is interested in.

GMMG ZL1 41
Site Admin

Post by GMMG ZL1 41 »

WAY TO GO CRAIG!!!! YOU REALLY HIT IT OUT OF THE BALL PARK WITH THIS ONE! WHAT A DAY!

NCGuy68

Post by NCGuy68 »

AMEN Jim - This car is Scary Fast!. :-o ...And it handles like a Go-Kart. :auto-rally:

Some Specs:

Hand-assembled LS7 Motor (Factory Blue-printed) - 427

505 HP, 481 lb-ft of torque

Tremec TR6060 Six-speed Tranny

5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter

10.5 Qt. Dry-Sump Oil System

7000 RPM Red Line

200 MPH Speedometer

Mine is # 386 of the 400 built.

More Specs Later.... :dance:

NCGuy68

Post by NCGuy68 »

More Specs: Chassis

Pirelli 305/30ZR 19 'Summer-Only' tires. 11.5" wide.

Brembo Carbon Ceramic brake pads with 11.5 in. diameter cross-drilled rotors.

Brembo 4-piston front calipers. Six-piston rear calipers.

Race proven Multimatic Inc. Spool-Valve damper suspension - Five settings from the push of a button.

More Specs later....

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin
Vehicle: Many GMMG's

Post by daytonajim »

Some time ago I received a e-mail from Scott Settlemire about the brakes on the Z-28.

I copied a few of you on this. If you still have a copy please cut & paste & add to the thread.

I'll look for the e-mail & post it when I find it.

The story goes something like this................. (I'll paraphrase as best as I can recall)

Mark Stielow (GM Engineer & has won the Optima Street Challenge a few times) was doing the shakedown testing on the new Z-28 & logging a lot of track time.

Something about the Z-28 didn't feel right so they kept looking for the problem. They found that the brakes were so big & so good that the tires were moving / spinning on the rims. What? I've never heard of this not even on the Corvette.

The tires were dismounted - the rims around the bead were roughed up & that fixed it.

Thanks

Jim Smith

[youtube:3t5om5fv][/youtube:3t5om5fv]

Mark took 'Mayhem' to the 2013 Optima Street Challenge & did very well.

[youtube:3t5om5fv][/youtube:3t5om5fv]

Mark sold Mayhem to Charley Lilliard & Bob B (BB #30 black Convert) & I chased him on the 2014 Power Tour - to much fun!

This is the baddest 1st Gen on the Planet!

Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/13/cama ... xed-video/

The 2014 Camaro Z/28 had a problem spinning its tires. Not doing traditional burnouts, mind, the rubber was actually rotating on the wheels. Well it did, until Chevrolet engineers noticed the vibration that it caused and fixed the flaw.

Chevy observed the issue while it was running laps of the Z/28 on a track. It claims that the Camaro's aggressive Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires and were generating so much traction that under braking, the rubber was actually slipping on their wheels. The engineers say that the car can develop 1.5 g of force under deceleration thanks to its Brembo carbon-ceramic brake rotors.

They initially suspected an issue with the tires or wheels, and the test was relatively simple. The engineers marked a chalk line relative to the valve stem and took the Camaro out for a lap. When it came back, they found that the Pirellis had rotated 360 degrees or more.

Of course, now Chevy had to fix it. Scroll down to watch a video of the Camaro Z/28's engineers explaining the problem and their novel solution, plus the press release about it. We have reached out to Chevy with some further questions but have yet to hear back. Look for an update to this post if and when we do.

[youtube:1d3mvgah][/youtube:1d3mvgah]
Dick Harrell # 9, 18 (Organic Green) #27 (Vic Edlebrock's) - Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 - Johnny Benson Berger SS #72 - PE Brickyard PR1 (red) - DHPE#4 Brickyard - silver - DEI #54 - 3 of 4 'real' 2000 Daytona 500 GTP Pace Cars

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

Hi Jim,

A few more photos to add please. Thanks.....

Craig.

1. Tight fit in the trailer.

2. Getting nitrogen in the tires @ DEC.

3. Myself, Floyd's Lovely wife Ava, Floyd. Ava was just as excited as me and Floyd were..:-)

NCGuy68

Post by NCGuy68 »

More Specs. Engine:

Titanium intake valves and connecting rods - sodium-filled exhaust valves.

CNC-ported cylinder heads.

Forged steel crankshaft and main bearing caps.

High-lift camshaft.

Hydroformed exhaust headers.

Mahle forged aluminum pistons.

As Chevrolet has stated: "SACRIFICE ALL IN THE NAME OF PERFORMANCE". :clap:

:auto-gmcredsmiley: :auto-layrubber: :auto-rally: :flags-usa:

from Jim.......... THIS IS A '427' MOTOR

NCGuy68

Post by NCGuy68 »

@2002Z4CSS wrote:Take it to the track and see how it runs after it is broken in. :)

Broken in you say 2002Z4CSS?

'Not necessary' says Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser.

They all have a 3 year bumper-to bumper factory warranty which includes the drivetrain... :o YES, even under High RPM Racing Conditions!..... :shock: Gone are the old days when GM denied a warranty claim because they thought the vehicle was 'abused'.

I'am liking my #386 car more and more Every Day! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NCGuy68

Post by NCGuy68 »

More Specs. Brembo Brakes:

Carbon Ceramic Matrix One-Piece Rotors. Front = 15.5-inch. Rear = 15.4-inch.

Fixed Monoblock Calipers. Front = Six-Piston. Rear = Four-Piston.

Pads. Carbon Ceramic.

Note that the One-Piece Rotors saves 28 Lb. vs. Two-Piece Steel Rotors. For Track Racing It's All About Reducing 'Un-Sprung' Weight.

More Specs Later......

Topic author
daytonajim
Site Admin

Post by daytonajim »

How many miles before you parked it @ Floyd Garrett?